#RPGaDay 2017 Day 11 - Dead Game I'd Like to See Return


There is still a Star Wars RPG being published - three actually, by Fantasy Flight Games. I ran a campaign with Edge of the Empire and found it to be a perfectly enjoyable game. But for my money the incarnation I've the fondest memories of is the D6-based RPG put out by West End Games in the 1980s and 1990s. I literally played my first game of it the day I got it. It was so easy to play and so easy to GM - and it felt like Star Wars.

The system wasn't perfect - I can see areas where a 3rd edition might have cleaned some things up. The Force rules worked well for wanna be Jedi type characters like Rey and Luke prior to being trained by Yoda. It required a bit too much dice rolling in combat. I found the stats for major film characters to be a bit over the top.

But I played a game a few years back and it still played just fine. I know sometimes licensees get permission to republish old versions of products that they didn't make. For example, Marvel has republished Star Wars comics originally made by Dark Horse Comics. And Cubicle 7 has been digitally making available the Green Ronin version of Warhammer. If Fantasy Flight Games were ever to republish West End Games Star Wars products I'd grab them in a second.

A quick honorable mention - another old favorite of mine is TSR's old Marvel Superheroes game. Like the WEG Star Wars, it wasn't perfect but it was incredibly playable.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jules Verne Translations That Don't Stink

Stepping Away and a New Beginning

RPG Review: Fate Accelerated

Using the Force in D6 Star Wars

Developing Boston for 1920s Call of Cthulhu